The Thrall 54’ “Coil Shield” Coil Car is a signature prototype like few others.
In 1992, Conrail purchased a unique “well” style coil gondola, and they assigned it the car class G52S. Through 1995, Conrail sought additional orders and ascribed G52T, G52U and G52V car classes. In total, Conrail purchased nearly 750 “coil shields.”
These coil cars are one of the most recognizable—and quite frankly, one of the coolest freight cars of the contemporary era.
ExactRail has meticulously recreated the Thrall 54’ “Coil Shield” Coil Car in HO Scale. With great attention, we have accurately captured the details of the prototype. From the complex, exposed brake appliances of the B-end platform, etched metal walks with appropriate tread pattern, and the intricate multi-piece framework of the coil hood, this car will impress.
ExactRail's Thrall 54’ Conrail Coil Shield is complete with exclusive features, including:
• ExactRail’s equalized 100 ton ASF Ride Control Trucks
• Machined metal wheel sets and axles
• Kadee ® #156 “scale” couplers
• Narrow-style draft box, featuring: end of car cushioning detail, striker assembly, and full nut and bolt detail
• Individually molded coil hood framework pieces to accurately capture the angle details of the assembly
• Numerous separately applied details, including: brake levers, accurate bell cranks, air hoses and brake appliance details!
• Exceptionally accurate printing and colors!
• Wire coupler cut levers, grab irons, brake rods and air lines!