The Thrall 54’ “Protector” Coil Car is a signature prototype like few others! Of the prototype, only 60 Protector coil cars were built. ExactRail breaks a new barrier by offering, what we believe is, the most signature freight car ever produced by RTR manufacturer!
Norfolk Southern received ‘Protector’ coil cars from Thrall in 1992. These cars shared the well-style body of the Conrail 54' Coil Shield; however, they were equipped with an insulated, aluminum hood of avant-garde styling. Received under the car class CS15, NS utilized the 168800-168059 number series. The 'Protector' name stands for 'PROtected TEmperature Coil Transport On Rail'. These coil cars are one of the most recognizable—and quite frankly, one of the coolest freight cars of the contemporary era.
ExactRail has meticulously recreated the Thrall 54’ “Protector” Coil Car in HO Scale. With great attention, we have accurately captured the details of the prototype. From the complex, exposed brake appliances of the B-end platform to the intricate multi-piece framework of the coil hood, this car will impress.
ExactRail's Thrall 54’ Coil Cars are complete with exclusive features, including:
• ExactRail’s equalized 100 ton ASF Ride Control Trucks
• Machined metal wheel sets and axles
• Kadee #156 “scale” couplers
• Narrow-style draft box, featuring: end of car cushioning detail, striker assembly,
and full nut and bolt detail
• Individually molded coil hood framework pieces to accurately capture the angle
details of the assembly
• Accurate separately applied details, including:
Correct coupler cut levers and bracket
Enclosed, pulley-style bell crank
Looped air hose that routes through the deck floor
Accurate draft box and details!
Exposed brake rigging and supports
• Exceptionally accurate printing and colors!
• 22” minimum recommended radius